Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's Saturday...and That Means Laundry Day Again!


 I am reflecting as I sit for several weeks now on Saturday at the College of Charleston laundry on the corner of Calhoun and Smith Street. It's been my Friday or Saturday haunt since I found it is the best deal per load and the cute little eatery has great coffee and Captain Crunch cookies.  I am held captive here for the next few hours and considered it prime opportunity to write again about our progress. 

I know it's perhaps borders on insanity to be so overjoyed my last time with you when I saw my husband's craftsmanship installing some of the first new floor joists, but I can honestly say we are truly above ground finally.  It's been such a long haul.  By investing in a quality foundation, we have prevented the need to dig again in the future when repairs are much more costly.  Greg is working on mechanicals today and laying some of the final sub-floor.  Here is a story in pictures of where we are headed.  I have included captions so you see them with some imagination and understanding.
Floor system in the kitchen area to come.  A few blogs back, you saw us having to remove all of it due to rot.
Insulating the floor system.  Greg has lined the crawl space with plastic and has put insulation board underneath the floor system for added protection.  Even the joints have been sealed up.

This has the appearance of new construction.  The first wall that is within our plan has been installed.  It separates the kitchen from the laundry/mudroom.  After my earlier post, I long for a new washer and dryer set to be workable in this part of the house.

This further shows the division of our kitchen from the rear of the house.  This was the existing hot water heater.  We plan on installing an inline system for efficiency. 
 Next week, we hope to move the back door over to the right.  Our floor plan changes the original plan to allow for a larger master bedroom.  Until next time, I hope you get to visit our beautiful Charleston.  Stop in at the Persimmon Cafe on the corner of Smith and Calhoun and ask about those Captain Crunch White Chocolate Cookies.  Yum Yum!


1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing this with the office... love to the the progress and all the work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete